Monday, July 04, 2011

What Price Carbon? (A Guessing Game)

The news is that Australia's carbon price will be announced this Sunday. Obviously the polluters want it to be quite low (eg $10/tonne) while one report says the price needs to be $40/tonne to stimulate a move away from coal.


Recent government financial modelling has been done across the range of $20-$30/tonne, and the government's financial adviser (Ross Garnaut) has suggested a starting price of $26/tonne.

So what do you think it will be? Have your guess as a comment, and we'll see who gets the closest.

I'm going to say $22, which i think is lower than it should be - because i'm concerned that lobbyists from the polluters might cause the government to weaken.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hmm. I'm going to say $23.50. It's the first number that popped into my head. :)

Dom said...

Ha! Without even looking at the blog page I had already decided on $23. But now I see that it'd be splitting hairs for the winner, I am going for $26.

Christine said...

I had already thought $22 but seems you beat me to that guess David! So I'll go with $21 :)