Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Greenpower - Save 44%

It's not often the electricity company tells you about a price decrease, but that's what happened to me recently. A 44% decrease - because i buy greenpower.


Ordinary electricity went up slightly in July due to the carbon price. But because renewable energy doesn't produce carbon pollution, it makes sense that its price should stay the same. This is effectively what this discount does - it takes the carbon price out of my electricity costs.

One of the great things about a carbon price is that it makes renewable energy more attractive for investors. Now this is true for us normal people as well - with the cost of going renewable now 44% cheaper. Thankyou carbon price.

4 comments:

Charlotte D. said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a while now and one my resolutions for 2013 is to choose a clean energy supplier. At the moment, I am with AGL Green Choice and wanted your point of view (if you have one on it and only if you have time). Do you think they are really green? Or is it controversial? Otherwise, I'll turn towards GreenPower.
Thanks for your reply, and most of all, for your interesting blog.

david said...

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for reading - and for getting in touch. It's great to hear from you.

AGL's greenchoice webpage shows 3 'choices' in the greenchoice range. All are accredited Greenpower (which is good) so it's just a choice of whether you want 10, 20 or 100% green energy.

I personally go for 100% with my energy company. My bill came this week and the greenpower part was $16.27 for the quarter ($1.22 per week to be 100% renewable).

I hope that helps. Thanks again for being part of Convenient Solutions.

Charlotte D. said...

Oh, I didn't go far enough in my research, sorry!

Now the next step is this one: www.australianethical.com.au.

Thanks for your advice for AGL! :)

david said...

Hi Charlotte,

No worries - it was a pleasure to help.

All the best for your research on ethical investing.